Pages

Monday, May 11, 2020

Left Behind Part 6

The person looked at me, shocked. He said ¨I...I don't know, i´ve only been here
for a few days¨. And then he walked away leaving alone in the shadows.


The next morning I walked back to the eastern side and paid more attention to
the sign that marked the entrance to the farming area. It looked decently old
and was beginning to rust. As I went into the farming area I looked at the ground
and saw a trail of dried blood leading to the compost bin.


I opened the lid and looked inside the bin, at first I only saw rotting plants and
dung but then I noticed what appeared to be a silver necklace in the rot. As I
lifted it out I saw a photo of two people getting married on a beach. I dug further
into the bin and found more bits of metal until near the bottom I found the fresh
body of a child with a broken limb in there, and then it struck me the reason
why there are so little people. When this town was made a lot of people helped
but there was not enough room for everyone and not enough fertiliser for the
plants, so they massacred everyone and slowly found more people to help the
town.

I pulled my head out of the bin and grabbed a bucket of fertiliser so I wouldn't
look suspicious as I heard the noise of the boat drifting further down the river
as the last scouts came back.

1 comment:

  1. As usual Rata, a good descriptive piece of writing, even as a junior you were a deep thinker. I did have a laugh at the end, wonder what comes next.

    ReplyDelete